|This article, 117 Institute, was written by Distant Tide. Please do not edit this fiction without the writer's permission.|
- "To develop objective solutions for the challenges ahead."
- ― 117 Institute's mission statement.
The 117 Institute, said as "One-Seventeen Institute," established in, is a nonprofit think tank specializing in development of military and goverment policy. It is funded through the , private endowments, and donations provided by public and private entities. Founded by former chief, , and Secretary, , the Institute came into prominence for publishing topic papers on unifying interests of military, civilian, and corporate entities following the drawdown.
Sponsored in part by, the 117 Institute has played roles in guiding everything from ordinance procurement, technology research-and-development, future war strategy, and economic coordination. The Institute is named after the famed Spartan, , in an attempt to connect his iconography and legacy with the organization. Behind the scenes, the organization served as a front company, sponsoring research for classified military projects and providing official cover for Naval Intelligence agents.
Similar to other government and defense industry headquarters, the 117 Institute is based in the URNA city of and along the shores of Boston Harbor and the Bostonian Crater Basin, formed from an ancient conflict in the twenty-second century and a stark reminder to the cost of intelligence gathering failures. Overlooked along the shoreline by the tall glass towers that make up the Boston skyline, the 117 Institute is a low-lying metal compound surrounded by rocky harbor seawalls and architecture that lowered down to water level. A bronze statue of the Master Chief sits surrounded by a grove of trees facing the public sidewalk and a car park that extends underneath the complex. Several aircraft pads sit on the flat utilitarian roof.
Within seven-minutes walking distance of Boston's Naval Intelligence Branch headquarters on Rainja Avenue, the proximity shows the close relationship the public and private organizations have but visible traffic between the two offices is not apparent. Unlike the ONI branch headquarters, there are no hidden obscuration security implementations discouraging people from walking onto the premises. The small grove park out front has become a common rest spot for pedestrians during walking commutes through the area. The facility is also a short Patuxent River Academy of Military Science.ride's distance from the
The organization personality is similar to Naval Intelligence installations with the architectural features being very unassuming and uniform in a way that could be described as "unnerving". Long empty hallways and spacious interiors or matte colored exteriors and interiors. Like the Office of Naval Intelligence, the organization uses a large degree of automation in its offices but has a larger ratio of human attendants due to the business culture within Unified Earth Government society and being a public facing, private organization first rather than a ONI shell corporation.
Employees can vary in background, personality, and experience but generally maintain high professionalism and can appear standoffish to outsiders. They like the building itself, can be unnerving or uncomfortable to be around.
- Reyna Zhou-Romero: ONI Section II/III psychology consultant formerly working on the . Reassigned and under increased workplace surveillance, possibly detention or house arrest, due to a minor role played in a coup attempt against the ONI . Involved in Smart AI neurology studies and a post-augment research project regarding later-life mutagen psychosis potentially exhibited in members of SPARTAN-III Gamma Company.
- Althea: Fourth-generation Smart AI developed as part of ONI research venture Project LOKIBORN. The progenitor's brain remained unknown for legal purposes, however, after completing the research trial the Smart AI was subject to memory overwrite. Self-assigned as "Althea", the Smart AI took on a copycat personality while in search of new stimuli to support an individual identity. Eventually took form as a simulacrum of Andra-D054; prone to temperate mood swings related to Project LOKIBORN.
- Accelerated Service Academy Initiative (ASAI): A legitimate, 117 Institute-funded scholarship initiative directed towards promising high school-aged youth interested in military, science, or industrial endeavors. The program covers necessary expenses for attending premier cadet and military academies in the and usually leads into a promising military or industry career of the participant's choosing upon completion. critics have criticized the program for "indoctrinating colonial youth into an Earth-centrist cult."
- Project LOKIBORN: Research venture prepared by ONI into later-life mutagen psychosis suspected in members of SPARTAN-III Gamma Company. Acquiring forty cloned, augmented brains through some Stockholm syndrome." , LOKIBORN converted the subject matter into Smart AI and applied stimulus comparative to stresses experienced by Gamma Company graduates. After trial completion, the Smart AIs underwent memory overwrite and were donated to the UNSC. Findings were inconclusive regarding suspected mutagen psychosis, in particular with tests for extended -deficiency and scenarios labeled "